Thursday 6 April 2017

Murder: Abusive man strangles mother of 3 to death – suspect on the run

Murder: Abusive man strangles mother of 3 to death – suspect on the run

victim: Dhanwantie Ram

A 30-year-old man is on the run after strangling the mother of his three children with a bed sheet at their Parika Façade, East Bank Essequibo home around 07:00 hrs yesterday.

Dhanwantie Ram, 29, a housewife, was on her way to the Parika Police Station to make a police report against her reputed husband, Ganesh Dhanraj, when he dragged her into their home and strangled her during an argument.
Suspect: Ganesh Dhanraj 

Ram’s body was discovered in a sitting position on a chair in the living room of her one-bedroom home with a mat thrown over her.

Her sister, Latchmie Jailall made the gruesome discovery shortly after the suspect was seen fleeing towards the backdam.

The police said that investigations have so far revealed that the victim, after encountering repeated domestic abuse, moved from the suspect’s home four days ago with two of her children and went by her sister’s home which is located a short distance away.

The suspect, however, went to the sibling’s home on Tuesday and demanded that his reputed wife return home, to which she allegedly refused and as a result, an altercation ensued between the couple. Dhanraj then left.

About 06:00hrs yesterday, the victim was on her way to the Parika Police Station to lodge a report against the suspect, when he intercepted her and dragged her to their home. Her lifeless body was later found in the house.

When this newspaper visited the scene yesterday, Bagotram Jailall, the victim’s father, explained that his daughter lived with the suspect for 12 years and had been abused many times.

“When he ain’t drink, he good, but when he drink, he beats and torments her all the time.”

Jailall said that his daughter was forced to leave home on many occasions as a result of severe abuse.

“When she moved the other day, he went there (at her sister’s home) and tormented her, but she tell he she ain’t going back home, and they fight and he left,” the woman’s father recounted.

He explained that yesterday morning, his daughter Latchmie called and informed him about the suspect harassing the mother of three, but before he could have reached to Parika from Meten-Meer Zorg, she had already been killed.

Latchmie Jailall in an interview related that as her sister was moving into her home often, she attached a few zinc sheets to her nephew’s home next door to allow Ram and her children to stay.

“Last night (Tuesday) I hear the gate open and then I hear like someone running at the back, so I opened my window and peeped out, and I heard my nephew and his wife talking, so I called out for them, and my sister tell me that Ganesh was there fighting her,” Latchmie said.
She added that she informed her sibling to take the kids over by her and spend the night before her partner returned and harmed her.
“She sleep by me and early the morning she left to go to the station and after some time, a lil boy run and bring her phone and give me with money to buy credit and he say that (Ram) say to buy credit and call my father, because Ganesh ain’t leaving her alone,” Latchmie related.

She said that she immediately left her home and went to where her sister was living with her husband and called out for them.
“My sister was crying and she begging to come out, but he not leaving her and they fighting. I tried to go in the house but he pushed me out and locked up the door,” the woman recounted.

She said that she called her father and he informed her to “wait right there until I reach” since he was on his way.

“Because they always fighting up, I left and went home because I had to dress the children for school and by time I go back, I see all the windows locked up and only the door open, so I went in and I didn’t see them,” Latchmie said.

She added that she called her father again to inform him that the couple had left hom, but he advised her to check the house properly since they could not have disappeared so fast.

“I went in back and checked. When I was coming out from the room, I see the mat over the chair and when I moved it, I see my sister dead with a sheet around her neck.”
The police were called in to investigate.
Meanwhile, the suspect’s mother, Pearl Ferreira said that her son visited her early yesterday, but she had no idea he had any such violent altercation with his wife, since he seemed normal.

“He spent like 15 minutes and after he left, I hear that he murdered his wife, and when I went there, the police was there already.”
Up to press time, the suspect was not arrested
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Minerals Commission must block leaks in gold export – Gold exporters

The Association of Gold Exporters of Ghana has called on the Minerals Commission to take steps to prevent recalcitrant gold exporters ...